Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween and here is Google Halloween Doodle 2011



Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays and that’s not because I get to see weird costumes. Living in East Village of New York City I get to see plenty of interesting people, costumes and acts around the year. I actually like going trick-or-treating with my kids in the neighborhood. I have done that for more than 16 years now and it doesn’t get boring. I pretty much see how retailers in my neighborhood interact with kids – their customers. If I find a rude establishment or a less than generous entrepreneur, I try not to take any business to them for rest of the year. It is just my way to getting the pulse of local businesses.

I also encourage friends and neighbors to trick-or-treat for UNICEF.

“Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF” has become a common sight during Halloween in North America. Started as a local event in a Northeast Philadelphia neighborhood in 1950 and expanded nationally in 1952, the program involves the distribution of small boxes by schools (or in modern times, corporate sponsors like Hallmark, at their licensed stores) to trick-or-treaters, in which they can solicit small-change donations from the houses they visit. It is estimated that children have collected more than $118 million for UNICEF since its inception. In Canada, in 2006, UNICEF decided to discontinue their Halloween collection boxes, citing safety and administrative concerns; after consultation with schools, they instead redesigned the program.”

And, of course the parade But this year I am heading out to Amsterdam so I will have to trick-a-treat early. I know- it’s drag

Here is the Google video of Halloween: